Poll

Would you rather live 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Poetry Out Loud Contest gives out a prize of $20,000 to the winner! (Logo credit: Poetry Out Loud)
Poetry Out Loud Contest
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 16, 2023

Check out Poetry Out Loud, see Ms. Griswold, room C125 to get more information.

Continue Reading
Denzel Key, 12, at the free throw line during Stroudsburgs 58-41 win over Dieruff on December 22nd, 2023. 
Photo taken by Danielle Ramstine.
Stroudsburg one win away from State Tournament
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 29, 2024

Stroudsburg fell to Parkland High School, 50-38, in the District 11 semifinals Wednesday night at William Allen High School in Allentown, PA. Micaiah 'Meeks' Brown, 12,...

Continue Reading
Anna Kirby poses for a picture after beating her second record of the season.
Anna Kirby breaks a second school record for the season
Georgie English, Staff writer • February 27, 2024

Then, just last week, Kirby broke another record at The Last Chance swim meet on Saturday, Feb. 17, "Kirby break school record".  Kirby set the record for...

Continue Reading
Jacob Bajek, 11, takes on competitors at EPC competition on February 8th, 2024.
Chess team rallies at 2024 EPC Competition
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

The Stroudsburg chess team sent its varsity roster to the Chess Eastern Pennslyvania Conference (EPC) competition on Thursday, Feb. 8. The team's varsity roster consists of...

Continue Reading
View All

The diversity of New Years

Andrew Polanco Then
During the Spring Festival, its common for children to receive envelopes with money in them.

How do you celebrate the new year? Many celebrate the New Year on January 1. Some celebrate according to lunar, solar, or religious calendars. The New Year is celebrated differently based on a person’s, culture, nationality, and religion. 

In Chinese culture, the holiday falls about two months after December 21, the winter solstice, when the second new moon rises. In China, this is known as Chun Yun (春运 Moving in the Spring). This tradition celebrates the coming of spring and leads into the Chinese New Year. 

The Chinese New Year is popularly known as the Spring Festival in China because it starts from the beginning of spring,” states Wake Forest University.

One Chinese New Year tradition is the thorough cleaning of one’s home to rid the resident of any lingering bad luck.

Jia Fang, 12, says, “The first day, you don’t clean the house at all, letting good luck into your house. Then the next day you clean the house to let all the bad luck out.”

My Jewish Learning website states that the Jewish New Year, or Rosh Hashanah, is celebrated on the first day of the Hebrew month of Tishrei, which typically falls in early to mid-September. It is said to be a time of inner renewal and divine atonement.

Jewish tradition celebrates with feasts on both nights of Rosh Hashanah with customary dishes including honey cake, brisket, and tzimmes.

The Times of India writes that Puthandu is a prominent festival, which is celebrated in the city Tamil Nadu. This day is celebrated on the first day of Tamil month, Chitterai as Tamil New Year. It is believed that on this auspicious day, Lord Indra came to the earth to ensure peace and serenity.

Wearing traditional clothing and greeting family is common on Puthandu, along with bringing fruits, sweets, flowers, and other items at home that promise future success.

I didn’t know how many diverse new year’s traditions there were.”

— Omar Abuhadba, 10

There are many ways to celebrate the new year from cleaning your house, handing out gifts, or drinking champagne at midnight. Regardless of your religion and nationality, the new year is a celebration of a fresh start. Remember that no matter when you celebrate New Year’s Day, it’s never a bad time to have a fresh start.