Poll

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg walking off of the field during game against Emmaus on April 8, 2024.
Baseball loses heartbreaker to Pleasant Valley
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024

On Wednesday, Stroudsburg lost to Pleasant Valley High School, 9-8. This game was scoreless until the top of the third inning, where Pleasant Valley scored three runs against...

Continue Reading
Long distance coach, Coach Foti, talking to runner Janel Meyers.
Photo credit: Amir Lovell, 10.
Stroudsburg High School Track and Field
Georgie English, Staff Writer • April 9, 2024

Stroudsburg High School Varsity Track and Field competed for their first home meet at Ross Stulgaitis Stadium against Northampton High School Konkrete Kids on Wednesday, March...

Continue Reading
L-R (siting): Dominic Negron, Terrel Butler, Keshav Persaud, Jessie Smith, Mason Ulmer, Logan Casebolt. 
L-R (standing): Asst. Coach Yost, Darius Quintana, Will Puskar, Tobias Ricks, Jason, Pritchard, Josh Marosi, Coach Tapiro.  2024 Boys Tennis Team photo, courtesy of coaches Tapiro and Yost, used with permission.
Stroudsburg Boys' Tennis Update
Jaden Harper and Madison NoonanApril 8, 2024

Led by Coach Gene Tapiro and Assistant Coach Ceal Yost, the 2024 boys' tennis team is off to a strong start. The 2023 team graduated several varsity players but Will Puskar,...

Continue Reading
View All

SHS Boys’ Basketball team bounces back

After a heartbreaking loss on Friday, the Mountaineers bounce back in win against Easton.
Stroudsburg+gets+set+to+face+Easton+Area+High+School+on+Dec.+12%2C+2023.+
Jaden Harper
Stroudsburg gets set to face Easton Area High School on Dec. 12, 2023.

Last Friday, the SHS Boys’ Basketball team suffered a devasting loss at the hands of our rivals East Stroudsburg South High School as South junior guard Jaen Chatman hit a buzzer-beating three to give South the 51-48 victory. This dropped Stroudsburg to 1-3 on the season. With their backs against the wall, they had to bounce back.

Before the game on Tuesday, head coach Tarik El-Bassiouni explained their plan to bounce back. Coach El-Bassiouni plainly stated, “We have no other choice…it doesn’t help anyone to dwell on what happened on Friday.” He also clarified that the team has to learn from their mistakes.

To hear the full interview with Coach El-Bassiouni, check out the Mountaineer Athletics Podcast on YouTube.

Coming out of the gates early against Easton, the Mountaineers took an early 5-0 lead 30 seconds into the game. That would be the last points they would score until the middle of the second quarter as Easton went on a 20-0 run to lead 20-5.

But that is when something clicked, the main lineup of seniors Micaiah ‘Meeks’ Brown, Denzel Keys, Kevin Polonia, Kamoni Smith Johnson, and Richard Gilmore, led the Mountaineers back into the game to make it a 21-16 game at halftime, scoring 7 unanswered points to close the deficit.

Stroudsburg continued to fight but trailed going into the final quarter. It seemed, at first, like a replay of last Friday. Clutch defense and key offensive possessions gave the Mountaineers the lead for the first time since the 5-0 lead in the first quarter. Richard Gilmore, 12, led all scorers with 19 points and Kamoni Smith Johnson, 12, hit the game-sealing free throws to give the Mountaineers their 2nd win of the season, 43-36.

The Mountaineers were down by as much as 15 points but they didn’t give up and continued to fight back and won. They play 4-2 Whitehall High School in district play tonight, 12/15, as they try to make it two in a row.