Student Spotlight On Abby Puskar

Tyler Stone, Staff Writer

Who are your favorite teachers and why?

My favorite teachers are Mr. Frounfelker, Mr. Thornton, Mr. Doney, and Mrs. Sickler. Mr. Frounfelker because he was so chill, funny, and laid back and I actually enjoyed history my sophomore year because of him. Mr. Thornton because he pushed myself further than I thought I was capable of going and his class was challenging, but in a way that has helped me prepare myself for college lectures. Mr. Doney because he is so funny, and actually cares about all of his students. Mrs. Sickler because she’s so kind and I look forward to accounting every day because she makes it interesting.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan on going to college for either culinary arts or hospitality management. My dream school is the CIA, Culinary Institute of America. My goal is to maybe one day have a restaurant of my own.

What is something that most people may not know about you?

When I was born, I was 3 months premature, under 3 pounds, and almost died in the hospital. My parents couldn’t even hold me for almost a month because of how bad it really was.

What is the greatest experience you have ever had?

One of the greatest experiences was being baptized. Once I came up out of the water, I felt like I was born again and had the biggest sense of God being there than I have ever had.

What is something that you have learned in your childhood that has stuck with you?

I couldn’t have made it this far without Jesus Christ in my life. My childhood was rough, but my mom did what she could and we only got by and made it this far because of him.

When you are old, what do you think children will ask you to tell stories about?

My children will definitely ask me if I ever swapped classes with Ally, my twin.

What movie can you watch over and over without ever getting tired of?

Definitely either The Parent Trap or Cinderella Man. The Parent Trap is one of my favorites because I have a twin and we relate to the movie. I’m obsessed with Cinderella Man because not only does it have Russell Crowe in it, who is one of my favorite actors, and that it is an action movie, but because I can really connect with the movie because the way that their life is portrayed, I relate to because it is similar to how my childhood was. (If you watch the movie, you’ll understand what I am talking about.)

What’s something people don’t worry about but really should?

Knowing basic cooking skills. If you’re in high school and don’t know how to chop an onion or mince garlic, then there’s a problem.

Which countries/places would you like to travel to?

I would absolutely love to go to Hawaii, Africa, Germany, Italy, Haiti, California, and Vermont. (I’ve never been outside of the U.S.)

What profession doesn’t get enough credit or respect?

Teachers don’t get enough credit. They aren’t paid as well as other professions, and they have to deal with all of the stubborn and rude kids all day that no one else has to deal with.