Student Spotlight on Rachel Traub

Alexander Canongo, Staff Writer

What is something that most people may not know about you?

I could eat pizza bagels for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or just as a snack because I love them so much. I also love The Office, ramen noodles, and smoothies :)

What is the greatest experience you have ever had?

When I went to Grand Cayman a couple of summers ago, we went swimming with stingrays, and I was able to feed and pet one. We also went snorkeling there, and it was one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. I’ll never forget that moment. 

What qualities do you value in people?

I value those that are caring, kind, loving, and accepting of others. I also think it is very important to surround myself with people that make me feel happy and comfortable :) 

What is your greatest weakness?

I worry about everything, and I am a huge overthinker. I get extremely nervous in general, but especially when I think I did something wrong, or if I feel like I said something that hurt someone else’s feelings. I’m one of those people that will lie in bed at night and think about something I said or did 5 years ago.

What’s something people don’t worry about but really should?

Very few people realize the impact that their words have on others. You may forget one unkind thing you said, but the person you said it to could think about it for years. The nice thing about this is that it goes both ways! If you say something kind to a peer (or a stranger), it could be something that they remember forever, or just something that they think of every once in a while that puts a smile on their face. I think that we all need to remember how powerful our words are to others, and then use that power in the kindest way possible :) 

How do you judge a person?

I prefer to observe others for myself rather than listening to other people’s opinions about them. I look at their personality traits, but most importantly, I look at how they treat others. One thing that I always keep in mind when meeting new people is that everyone has a backstory. I don’t believe that if someone makes one bad mistake that they are a bad person. Everyone grows at their own rate and has their own lives that others may not understand. Before I judge someone, I try to put myself in their shoes. Everyone deserves a chance to be understood before they are judged in a bad way. 

Which countries/places would you like to travel to? 

I would love to travel to Iceland, New Zealand, France, Greece, or Paris. I also really want to travel to California someday because I’ve never been there before, and I’ve heard that it’s a great place to visit. 

What’s the funniest word in the English language?

Bibble. 

If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

Telekinesis (moving objects with my mind).

Is water wet?

I just don’t know anymore…