Student Spotlight on Benjamin Domanski

Nicole Schmitt, Staff Writer

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan to go to either the University of Berkeley in California or the University of Michigan. I’d want to go to these schools, especially Berkeley because they are both very good for studying chemistry. I want to be a chemist in the future so this would be a nice path for me to head on.

Who are your favorite teachers and why?

I would say one of my current favorite teachers is Mrs. Batt. Even though English is probably my worst subject in school, the class is always super enjoyable because of the environment that Mrs. Batt creates. I don’t speak much in that class compared to English classes in the past, and I don’t particularly know why, but when I do speak, I never feel like I am being judged for my ideas which is always a fear of mine in English classes.

What is your life motto? 

My life motto would be, “You can do anything you want in life as long as it doesn’t hurt yourself or others.” This was something told to me by my dad when I was probably 8 or 9 years old, and it has stuck with me ever since.

What values are important to you?

I would say the value that is the most important to me is kindness. If someone is a nice person and treats others with respect and kindness, there’s not much wrong they can do in the world. I tend to surround myself with people that are kind and will do everything they can to help the people they care about because I feel like those are some of the best people that can exist in the world. 

What is something that you have learned in your childhood that has stuck with you?

When I was younger, I learned that I am not able to control the actions of other people. What I mean by this is that no matter what I try and do, the decisions that people make for themselves are entirely out of my control, so I shouldn’t take anything that anyone does too personally. For example, if I’m trying to help convince a friend to eat breakfast in the morning and they decide not to do it, it’s nothing personal against me. 

What is your greatest strength?

My greatest strength is probably the fact that I am good at listening to people’s problems, and I can give good advice when asked to as well. I love listening to people’s problems because I really like helping people as much as I can. I try to offer my help to as many people as I can because helping people is something I really enjoy. 

What is your favorite class at SHS?

Band has to be my favorite class. Even though it’s right at the start of the day, it starts my day off so well. I’ve always loved band class because I love playing the drums, so to be able to sort of relax and have a fun period at the beginning of my day truly makes my school days better.

What is something people don’t worry about but really should?

The first thing that instantly came to mind was climate change/global warming. This is probably a very generic answer, but it is still an important one. Even though so many people worry about it daily, there is still so much more that we as a population have to do to try and simply stay alive at this point. It’s a very daunting topic to think about, yet it is equally as important as a lot of the threats we all currently face.