Student Spotlight on Ryan Demarest

Nicole Schmitt, Staff Writer

What are your plans after graduation?

As far as my plans go, after graduation I plan on pursuing something in technology. That is the typical response I will give people because I’m not sure what it is that I want to do. However, after high school, I plan on going to a trade school to pursue some education in the IT industry. Now if all else fails, then I will go to a college and study psychology or music. 

Who do you consider your biggest role model, and why?

The person I consider to be my biggest role model would be my dad. Some things that contribute to that are the fact that he is always busy and yet there for me in times of need. Another thing is he just can find a way to be happy during the most upsetting times and can bring a smile to people’s faces.  So for that, he has contributed to helping me better understand more things at a younger age and has truly helped to develop me into the person I am today.

What is something that most people may not know about you?

I’ll do you one better. Two things people do not know about me is that when I was younger in pre-school, I took this gymnastics class and I was actually really good at it. Another thing most people do not know about me is that for some unforsaken reason I have an over obsessive amount of blankets. To me, that was my safe spot and it is where I could clear my head of emotions and usually calms me down.

What is your greatest strength?

I would say my greatest strength is having great adaptability. Most things people tend to look at things and say, “I can’t do” or “I wish I could”, and I just use that as my motivation to do something. I love problem-solving, maybe not like math problem-solving but fixing problems using logic. One example I could give would be the time my internet went out around March, 2021 and from then to July, 2021. Day after day I tried to find the problem with my internet, and I eventually succeeded. However, I never quit and managed to get through the virtual year.

Which countries/places would you like to visit?

There are not too many places I would like to visit. I am not a travel guy and I could probably live my whole life on the east coast. However, the top 5 places I would like to go or revisit from least to greatest would be France, Poland, Orlando, Florida, Italy, or Tokyo.

What is your favorite thing about yourself? 

There are a lot of things I love about myself and that would be about how chill and easy I am to get along with. I also love the determination I put into things whether it is in any extracurriculars, video games, or anything just in general. Both of those things help me keep me being the person I am.

What is your greatest accomplishment so far?

I would say my greatest accomplishment from this year would just be my academic performance. Overall, my grades have been the best now than ever before. Not only that, but I know that I am succeeding in everything that I do. Also, a side accomplishment would be playing in MetLife stadium and our school winning the trophy for our amazing performance. 

What is your life motto?

There are two mottos I follow throughout my life.

The first motto: “Do a favor for others without expecting some sort of reward in return.”

This quote is something my dad told me and is what I live by because I know the feeling of needing help. I would not want people to go through the pain or struggle of not knowing something if I can just help out myself.

The second motto: “There are two people in this world. There are people who will struggle and sit on the sidelines and say they can’t and there are people who simply do. Be the person who will simply do, and let the others watch from the sidelines as you succeed.”

This quote was something I made up, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense and I have always just followed it.