Student Spotlight on Edward Heimbach

Eli Badillo, Staff Writer

What is your goal for this year?

Beyond the basic stuff like getting good grades and making more friends, I plan to try and learn more about myself and go outside my comfort zone more frequently. The covid year was really hard for me and turned me into a shelled-up person for a while. During a big chunk of last year, I had a terrible sleep schedule and was anti-social. I lack personality and specific interests sometimes, and I hope to discover more about myself this year and be happier as a result.

What is your greatest strength? 

I think my best attribute is that I am almost always happy. People have commented before that I’m always smiling, or putting a little pep into my step. I usually act or look kinda goofy because of that, but I find that a good mindset makes it easier to push through the day. The only thing that can really affect my mood is sleep, and I’ve recently been getting a lot more of that. 

What is your greatest weakness?

The thing that holds me back the most is my lack of patience. I’ve always liked things quick and easy, and I often give up on things way too quickly. This makes me kind of lazy since I lose focus quickly too, and I also tend to get answers wrong on tests because I didn’t take enough time to consider some questions. 

What are your plans after graduation?

While I am definitely not dead set on a specific career, I plan to go into either a type of engineering or something practical like general repair. These types of careers will always be in high demand, and I would prefer a job with good security. Another thing I’m very interested in is computer science, but I’d probably do that as a habitual study instead.

If there is one thing you could change in the world, what would it be?

The thing I wish was better in the world is public transportation in America. Everyone has their own car in America, even if they only use it to go to locally close places. It’s super wasteful in all sorts of ways, such as environmentally, space-wise, and materials, and it’s time costly. If places in America simply invested in more public transportation infrastructure, things would be so much more efficient and easy for cities.

If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

If I was to have a superpower, it would be to stop time for however long I want. It basically solves all your problems. If you’re being attacked, just stop time and walk away. Deadlines and studying become infinitely easier, seeing that you could take as long as you want. You could also just sleep whenever you wanted as well. Life would be without consequence. My runner-up choice would be shape-shifting/morphing, so I can be as hot as I want.

What profession doesn’t get enough credit or respect?

Just about anything simple such as retail, janitors, construction workers, or manual labor. Nowadays there is a lot of emphasis on getting big important jobs such as being a lawyer or doctor, but there isn’t enough respect for the hardworking people that run the backbone of society.  Many, If not most people who work these basic but important jobs, do not earn enough money to support themselves. But somebody has to do it, don’t they? If average people were respected more, it would be more likely that average people would receive better pay.