Student Spotlight on Lexana Gonzalez

Eli Badillo, Staff Writer

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan to major in either English or psychology and preferably go to a college in Florida. After that, I want to become a high school English teacher or a psychologist. 

What qualities do you value in a person?

The two main qualities I value in a person the most are honesty and genuine kindness. I believe those two traits are necessary and can really reflect on the kind of person someone is.

What is something that you have learned in your childhood that has stuck with you?

Something I learned in my childhood is that no matter who you’re around, whether it’s by choice or not, is that there are always going to be people who are impolite or just mean. And even if they are, you should always stay respectful instead of lowering yourself to their level.

What movie could you never get tired of watching? 

Mean Girls – It’s always been one of my favorite movies.

If there was one thing you could change in the world, what would it be?

If I could change something in the world, I would pick stereotypes in a heartbeat. I believe stereotypes are one of the most harmful things for a person. Most of the time stereotypes aren’t even true, and either they’re degrading or put unrealistic expectations on people.

Which countries/places would you like to visit?

I would love to go to Spain eventually.

What profession doesn’t get enough credit or respect?

I think teaching doesn’t. I believe teachers don’t get enough respect for the amount of time and effort they put into their jobs. Some teachers go out of their way to make sure a student is able to understand or to even try and make their day better. Teachers have to deal with so much unnecessary stress. I think people tend to forget that teachers are one of the main starting points for our future and they really take that for granted.