SHS musical opens this Friday

Caeley Hank, Staff Writer

Every year Stroudsburg High School always puts on an amazing performance for our musical. With live music, student actors and actresses, as well as choreographed numbers, it’s a great show for all ages.

This years musical is How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying, a Broadway original that debuted in 1961. It’s the story of a young man who climbed the ladder of success by using a book as his guide to get him there.

It always amazes me how far the kids come from beginning to end and what they are able to accomplish, said Ms. Lisa Rogers, the stage manager for the musical.

Everybody involved spends months of learning lines, music, and choreography, preparing and making backdrops and costumes. It’s a huge commitment,” said Rogers. The ultimate goal is to put on an enjoyable performance, she added.

There would be no musical without the cast of students who perform the show. Junior Natalie Hornkohl is playing her first real role this year as Rosemary Pilkington.

“I think I’m most excited about everyone seeing all the hard work put into the musical as it all comes together,” said Hornkohl.

As everyone knows, putting together something as elaborate as a high school musical, there comes a lot of repetition as well as frustration.

“It does get stressful,” said Hornkohl, “there’s a lot of rehearsing, and work to go over at home.”

Ms. Janice Lee, the assistant director of the musical described difficulty behind the upcoming performances.

“The hardest part for preparing is the sheer volume of things to learn in a certain amount of time,” said Lee. “This week is insane to get ready for.”

“The shows are going to be incredible.” added Lee.

There is no doubt that all the students involved know that they are a part of something extraordinary and the outcome will be very rewarding. Junior Lia Parker, (playing the role of Smitty) has been in three musicals previously and anxiously awaits this year’s performance.

“It’s nerve wracking because you want to perform your absolute best for your audience and so the show runs smoothly,” said Parker. “I really hope to make the audience laugh, and come back next year!”

Senior Toni Anne Zito reflected her appreciation for the people involved in the musical.

“The cast, crew and pit of the musical are all such fun and positive people, that it’s fun being around them for as long as rehearsals are,” said Zito “It brought a lot of genuine happiness into my life. I think it makes me busier in a good way. I love the rehearsals because it’s fun watching the musical all come together in the end.”

Mrs. Billye Kubiak, the director and choreographer for the musical, has nothing but positive things to say about the experience given by the musical.

“Participating is a big commitment, but the students soon discover that it’s worth it. They are responsible and learn to juggle other activities, jobs, and homework with rehearsals, they make new friends, and in the end, the performance is the most exciting part.”

The show will run April 13 through April 15 The show begins at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets are on sale now in the high school main office: $8 for students, $10 for seniors, and $12 for adults. For more ticket information call (570)-421-1991