SHS’s Technology Student Association (TSA) determined to win medals at competitions

Photo via Mr. Matthew Rimbey

2019-2020 SHS TSA members at the Regional conference held at the Junior High this past January.

TSA (Technology Student Association) is an organization that allows students nationwide to get together and tackle numerous events. This organization was created to develop skills in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, as well as business education.

As part of the process, TSA aims to develop leadership, academic, and business management skills in the workplace among students and leaders within the community. Though some events can be entered solo, many of the events consist of teams. Competitions range from building a glider, to on-sight problem-solving, and can even consist of on-sight video production.

SHS has its very own chapter of TSA, and the adviser is Mr. Kirk George.

Typically, students compete at regionals, states, and nationals.  This past year, Covid-19 limited the students to competing only at regionals.

Despite the challenges of the Covid-19, the National TSA officials have unveiled plans to operate while under the current conditions. They have since themed this year as, “Together Towards Tomorrow”. In adhering to strict guidelines for the health and safety of the students, the plan is to employ a fully virtual regional conference, as well as a tentative hybrid attendance at the state and national level.

TSA membership has decreased at SHS, but that remaining members are determined to continue to be successful.

SHS TSA adviser Mr. Kirk George has expressed his thoughts on this year’s group in a recent email to the team.

“It is your club, responsibility for club events will be directed by the leadership team,” said George.

President Tyler Christian 22’ and Vice President Pruthvi Patel 22’ have made it clear that the SHS TSA team will work to the best of its ability to succeed in this year’s events and competitions, regardless of any limitations.

“We won’t be affected very much at all,” said Christian “There are plans in place, and plans are being made to aid in the completion of our events and competitions. Work meetings will be scheduled in advance to ensure student safety, and there is to be held at least one fully virtual club meeting each month to avoid any unnecessary physical gatherings. As always, safety is of utmost importance for our members as we strive to defy all odds.”

The SHS leaders of TSA have confidence that their club will be accomplish great things in the weeks and months to come.

“We are going to get through this with no problem,” said Patel. “We are all passionate individuals and will succeed no matter the obstacles, remote or not.”

The return of TSA has its elected officials just as excited as ever. The team will strive to place in as many competitions as possible, and quite possibly take home some medals.