Scholastic Scrimmage competes against local teams

Colin Hoffman

Stroudsburg Scholastic scrimmage compete in local tournament

Zyaire Coles, Staff Writer

Do you love competing in intense trivia games? Then join the Stroudsburg High School Scholastic Scrimmage team. 

The team is led by adviser Ms. Suzanne DiTore and captain Colin Hoffman, a junior.  Scholastic scrimmage is a trivia/ quiz competition. The games consist of a range of diverse, often very challenging, academic questions. Participants score points with each correct answer. The winners of each game can even compete in tournaments that can last up to one season long. 

During the contests, 15-20 high school students compete against other schools in a Jeopardy-like form (only groups of 4 can compete at a time). 

The teams are asked a variety of academic questions and each question is worth 10 points. The team with the most points can win $2,000-$4,000. 

Our highest winning record was last year when we went undefeated in EPC play and were Eastern Seaboard finalists”, said Hoffman. The highest number of points the team scored was 260-215, which was in a tournament against Palmerton.

The club meets every Monday afternoon in room C135. There is still time to join. To join the club, one must attend the Monday afternoon meetings.  

They compete on a national TV game show -WLVT-airing on PBS. If you love to watch schools compete against each other in an intense game of trivia, turn on PBS every Friday at 2:30 p.m. and Sunday at 9:30 a.m.  

The club also competes in computer-streamed national tournaments twice a year.   

Currently, the team has a record of 7 wins and 3 losses.  They have beaten many local schools, including East Stroudsburg South twice.