Key Club to host Breakfast with Santa for the community

Key club members pose in front of holiday tree in the caf.

Dana Persaud, Staff Writer

Santa Claus is coming to breakfast — thanks to Key Club.

At SHS, Key Club will host the annual Breakfast with Santa on December 18. This event allows children from all grades to enjoy breakfast and create crafts with Santa. The breakfast showcases Santa, crafts, breakfast, and performances from musical groups from SHS’s music program.

Along with Breakfast with Santa, Key Club works with other districts and clubs. SHS Key Club assists the Kiwanis Club with their annual Pancake Day. Pancake Day is run similarly to a soup kitchen and takes place at East Stroudsburg South High School’s cafeteria. One of the SHS Key Club’s biggest events for its members is to attend the Key Club Convention in the spring with other Key Club clubs in Pennsylvania.

Key Club is a long-standing organization at SHS.  Its main purpose is to provide students with an opportunity to volunteer in the community, as well as in the school community.

Key Club is affiliated with the Kiwanis Club, which is a nationwide organization.  The SHS club often interacts with other district clubs and even teams up sometimes for events.

Mr. Luke Booth, in his second year as adviser, has participated in Key Club ever since he was a student in high school. The officer team insists of Jacqueline Augugliaro, Dana Persaud, Zoey Delaney, Karissa Karpinski, Chelsea Rosario, Jonnathan Robles, Kayla Adams, Nicole Stallings, Pruthvi Patel, Roman Diakun, and Sakura Helm.

Key Club officers hope to grow in numbers each year and return to a normal volunteer process — which has been challenging due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Delaney, the club’s secretary, explained why she believes Key Club is important.

“I want students to know the core values of Key Club are leadership, character building, caring, and inclusiveness,” said Delaney.  “I want students to know Key Club is an awesome club to join and be a part of.  We get to do a ton of volunteering in the community and within our own school. It’s a great way to get involved and help out your community.”

“Key Club is a great way to help heal and grow our community while building strong bonds with other Key Club and community members,” said Booth. 

Although COVID-19 made volunteer opportunities scarce, the club has rebounded in full force. Booth hopes to stretch the club’s reach to all parts of the community in need.

Key Club’s mission is to aid the community in any way possible. They hope to improve, help, and accomplish more this year to continue being a key to the community.