The Acceptance Project (TAP) creates a unique setting to explore difficult topics

Elizabeth Lee, Staff Writer

At The Acceptance Project (TAP), students meet every other Friday in G209 to create a safe space for different political and social opinions.

Currently TAP is an after-school club. Their meetings are specifically labeled as “discussions,” not debates, and are led by any two officers.

TAP is all about sharing different perspectives and learning about new beliefs. The club was started in 2016 by Taha Vahanvaty in eighth grade with the goal of  “creating the mediators of tomorrow.”

TAP has also created an intensive week-long program, in which students from different areas of Pennsylvania come together and share different beliefs. Due to the pandemic, the program has been on hold.

Officer Jess Brady, a senior, expressed the need for a safe space within a community to discuss varying opinions, whether political or personal — and she emphasized that TAP provides that space.

Another officer, Ethan Custard, a junior, shared why TAP is important to him.

“This club really helped me learn more about other views and become more outgoing,” said Custard. “It’s an irreplaceable experience that I am proud to be a part of.”

The adviser is Ms. Cheri West, and meetings are led by the co-officers Brady, Custard, junior Luka Konklin, junior Eli Badillo, sophomore Chris Brady, and junior Delaney Burke.

The Google Classroom code is nxeibch.