Common Threads: the buck stops here!

Students and the public benefit from great deals on clothes and more

Ethan Custard

Come to Common Threads where you can find something for everyone!

Ethan Custard, Staff Writer

Looking for a nice fit for a school dance? Looking for an easy, inexpensive gift for a friend? Need a fresh new look? If so, Common Threads is the place for you!

Common Threads is a one-of-a-kind clothing store that is run by Stroudsburg High School students. Despite its name, there is nothing “common” about it. Within you can find an impressive magnitude of clothes and accessories that are just waiting to be discovered.

This is clearly an opinion, but Common Threads might be the best Dollar Store on the planet.  Every item in the main room (and there are a lot of items) costs ONLY one dollar.  There is a small specialty room in which the items are a bit more expensive.

“There’s nowhere in the world you can buy an Abercrombie & Fitch sweatshirt for a buck,” said Ms. Heather Nowosad, a Transition Coordinator at SHS.  

Nowosad and Ms. Sherri McIntyre run Common Threads.  Paraprofessional Ms. Lauren Donovan helps them, as well.

Students with different abilities run and manage the store. These students are more likely to join the workforce directly after high school. Common Threads teaches them employability skills.  They learn people skills, communication, taking orders, working the register, and much more.

Nowosad finds working at Common Threads very rewarding.

“Half the time they teach me, I am not teaching them,” said Nowosad, who thoroughly enjoys watching the students learn and grow.

Common Threads is open to all students, periods 1 to 3 daily. Every Friday, the store is open from 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. to students and from 9:00 a.m. to 12: 00 p.m. to the community. It is also open Fridays from 2:30 to 4:30 to all. Every first and third Saturday of the month, they are also open from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. to all. For a complete schedule go to sburg.org.

The only thing worse than school uniforms is trying to find a store that sells them! Luckily enough, Common Threads is always an option to turn to to find a nice school-approved outfit.

Recently, however, a school uniform shortage has affected those in and out of the Stroudsburg area due to the global pandemic. Thankfully, Common Threads was able to quickly recover. They are currently low on school uniforms, so they are encouraging people to donate them.

Donations are accepted anytime during the school week. Just label the donation for Common Threads and drop it off at any of the SASD buildings. People can drop them off at the store during operating hours.

Also, donations from the public are always gladly accepted! 

Go find your new look at Common Threads today!