Teacher Feature on Ms. Singleton

Sydney Curry

Photo of teacher Ms. Singleton in the car smiling into the camera.

Sydney Curry, Staff Writer

At which school in the district do you teach?

I teach at Hamilton Elementary School. 

What subject(s) do you teach? 

I teach all major subjects. Science and English Language Arts are my favorites! 

What grade (s) do you teach? 

I teach fourth grade. 

How long have you been teaching at SASD? 

I have been teaching for six years. I did my student teaching for college here at Hamilton in a fourth-grade classroom, and was hired two weeks after my graduation! I truly love it here and cannot imagine being anywhere else!

What is one important lesson you have learned as an educator? 

I have learned that some of the best lessons I have taught in my classroom were not the ones originally planned on my lesson pages. Taking a different path from what I originally planned sometimes turns out to be my most proud lesson!

What is your favorite part about teaching? 

I love being able to be creative with lessons and seeing that spark in my students when they learn something new! Seeing how each student changes from the beginning of the year to the end is amazing

What do you find most challenging about being a teacher?

I think one of the most challenging things about being a teacher is the struggle to get some of my students to see their potential and see the great things inside them that I see. 

What is one piece of advice you would share with your students?

Be kind and respectful to others. Be confident in who you are!

If you could have one superpower what would it be and why?

This one is hard to answer! I would love to have a superpower to be able to be transported to the beach at any time! I love the sun and beach vibes! I would also love the ability to snap my fingers and have my whole house clean! Living with three sons, it can get messy very quickly!

How and when did you know that teaching was what you wanted to do?

I knew I wanted to be a teacher when I was 22 years old. I got married and started a family. When my children got a bit older, I decided it was time to take time for myself and make my career dream come true! I knew I wanted to make a difference in not only helping young children become successful in the classroom but to help them see their potential and gain confidence in themselves!