Student Spotlight on Leah Pelaez

Savannah Bone, Staff Writer

Who are your favorite teachers and why?

My favorite teacher is Mr.Bruski. I always enjoy his class and I can always joke around with him. He is a great teacher and loves his students. I have created such a good bond with him that I will always cherish. I admire the way he cares and respects his students. He has made such a great impact on me and my love for forensics. He is truly one of the greatest teachers in Stroudsburg.

Which countries/places would you like to visit?

I would love to travel to every country if I had all the money in the world. My dream is to travel as much as I can to experience and educate myself on different cultures. Though my number one place to travel would be either Greece or Italy. I have always admired the Greek and Italian culture and the scenery is absolutely gorgeous. 

What is your goal for this year?

My goal this year is to improve my mental health. I tend to keep things bottled in and not express how I truly feel because I like to please people. Mental health is a real problem and I’m lucky enough to have a supportive family who understands this. Mental health has such a big impact on me that it’s one of my choices as a career path in the future. I would also love to get recruited for field hockey and hopefully get a scholarship. 

What is something that you have learned in your childhood that has stuck with you?

Growing up, I’ve always gone to St. Lukes every Sunday for church. My mother is very religious and she taught me the importance of prayer and trusting God’s plan. She told me that God would never put you in a situation that you couldn’t handle, and anytime I’m stressing over something I always think about it to this day. I have also been told that your beauty is power, always work hard, be kind and caring, never let anyone tell you that you can’t have what you want, and also save your money!

What qualities do you value in people?

I value honesty, loyalty, the spirit of adventure, outgoingness, willingness to try new things, and kindness. Though I really value humor in a person. If you can make me laugh, then you’re one of my favorite people. I also love when a person is willing to dance with me. If you know me then you know I love to dance, so when a person is willing to dance with me especially if they don’t like dancing, then I truly appreciate and admire them. 

What is something that most people may not know about you?

Something people may not know about me is that I love cars. My dad is an engineer and worked at BMW. Therefore, he would also fix cars at my house and I was always interested in what he was doing. My sister’s boyfriend is also really into cars, and my siblings and I would always talk to him about them. I am also a really big Harry Potter fan. I have loved Harry Potter since 5th grade and I rewatch the movies all the time. I have also reread all the books three times. 

What are your plans after graduation?

My plan after graduation is to hopefully be recruited by a school for field hockey. Then get my master’s degree for my major. Then I’d hope to travel as much as I can and get a good job that I love. 

What movie could you never get tired of watching?   

I honestly have a lot, though my top movies are all the Fast and Furious, Harry Potter, and Marvel movies, Both of the Mamma Mia movies, Grown Ups 1+2, any Disney movie, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 1+2. 

What is your greatest chance of weakness?

I like doing my own thing and I sometimes don’t let people help me when I really need it. I chose to do things by myself even if I’m struggling because I have the need to always do things myself and not need anyone’s help. I can also be very stubborn at moments, and it’s one of the things my family doesn’t like about me. 

What activities or hobbies do you enjoy outside of school? 

I play field hockey both outdoor and indoor and that takes up a lot of my time. Though I’m also in the school musical. I love going to the gym and working out as well. Though in spring and summer I go biking a lot and during the pandemic, I would bike with my friends Tony, Marcus, Will, and Paige. I go hiking a lot too in the summer and it’s a great way to relieve stress and to clear your mind.