Filed under Features, Opinion

A close-up look at President Trump’s education plan

Back to Article
Back to Article

As of 2011, the United States has a record of 83 million students that consisted of ages pre-kindergarten to college level. That was a little over 1/4 of the whole population of the U.S.

As more children are instituted into America’s schools, that percentage grows. Therefore, their representation makes more of an impact.

“…the President is chief citizen. This means the president should represent all of the people of the United States.” This is a direct quote from a Pearson school textbook. According to the quote, the president should be a representation of the people. This means that Donald Trump is today’s representation of the American people.

President Donald Trump’s most recent educational activity has been the production of the educational budget. This budget increases the initiative for “school-choice” and decreases that of an already existing program. The Atlantic  wrote about the budget back in February after it was released.

“Discretionary spending by the Education Department would be cut by 5.3 percent, about $3.6 billion off a $63 billion pot. Two programs would see the steepest cuts: Title II—used in part to recruit and retain teachers and support principals—and the 21st Century Learning Centers block grants, which pay for enrichment programs during non-school hours, particularly in high-poverty communities.”

A common motif from Trump when asked about his advocacy for education is pro-choice. Education related pro-choice is the belief that students and parents should have the options and opportunities to choose what school they want to go to.

Mr. Tom Kurnas, an SHS social studies teacher, discusses these sort of topics almost daily. He advocates for the support of public education.

“What little I’ve heard come from the white house is about Betsy Devos and concerns her belief in charters and vouchers and other alternatives to public education. As someone who is in public education. Taking away funds is counterproductive. Not in the interest of public education,” said Kurnas.

With his opinion and small decisions in place, our school is still not greatly affected by his representation, but the taxpayers are. “If funds are siphoned, the local people’s burden is higher.”

There are still about 2 and half years with Trump as President. So far there aren’t many actions that have been enacted related to education. Whether or not this is a good thing is up to you. Comment your opinion down below.

If you want to keep up with the President’s term (or when it ends), go to: https://howlonguntiltrumpleaves.com/

For a more detailed impact of Trump’s educational acts, go to: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2018/01/31/the-one-thing-trump-said-about-education-policy-in-state-of-the-union-address/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3ed4f95d9424

6 Comments

6 Responses to “A close-up look at President Trump’s education plan”

1. siddhi sharma on May 31st, 2018 2:00 AM

Hello Karissa Belzer,

Nice information shared by you and thanks for sharing this useful information with us. “NBCE Scholarship Competition” The aim of the scholarship is to support future chiropractors in 2018.

Application Deadline is: October 1, 2018

For more information, you can visit the given link:
    https://www.developingcareer.com/nbce-scholarship-competition/

You can also join our Facebook page for the updates. The link is given below
    https://www.facebook.com/DevelopingCareer/

2. Ben Allbaugh on November 13th, 2018 8:47 AM

Good article, however I think that a quote from a person that agrees with President Trump would fully complete the piece.

3. Maximus DiPaola on November 13th, 2018 8:48 AM

Let’s hope in Trumps 2.5 terms left he doesn’t hurt the education system at all

4. Max DiPaola on November 13th, 2018 8:49 AM

Let’s hope he doesn’t hurt the education system

5. Nathan Bergman on November 13th, 2018 8:50 AM

This is a good article, neutral on the subject of Trump’s presidency. I feel like a 5% cut out of 63 billion dollars will not affect the public schools that significantly.

6. Aaron Garza on November 13th, 2018 9:40 AM

This is a good informational article. From what I’ve seen pro choice education hasnt worked in the sense that it hasn’t boosted scores of students. Also I don’t think the funding cuts because public education in areas of poverty can use more funding and I’d like to see more money go to these schools and I don’t think cutting funding will do that.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A close-up look at President Trump’s education plan

Entertainment

Nearby Columcille Megalith Park provides tranquil atmosphere to visitors

Features

Award winning Northampton Community College provides accessible and quality education for all

Features

Entertaining activities to enjoy around the Poconos

Features

SHS student travels to Nepal on dental mission trip

Features

American and European schools differ in many ways

Entertainment

The annual Greek festival has arrived!

Features

Sports comebacks in SHS

Features

Winter weather heavily impacts PA roads and vehicles

Features

The weather can directly affect one’s mood and attitude

Features

Has Disney gotten better or worse over time?