Hoodies should be allowed in school

Jamie Bittiger, sophomore

An aspect about Stroudsburg School District that could be improved is the dress code. All the friends that I speak to can agree that the fact that they cannot wear hoodies is frustrating. Hoodies provide a feeling of comfort. They also keep us warm when sometimes the school is very cold from the wintry air. Almost every time I enter the cafeteria, I get very cold because the heat doesnai??i??t always turn on. Along with this, most students own a sweatshirt and they are easy to get their hands on. They donai??i??t fit inappropriately and donai??i??t pose issues.

For me personally, hoodies are a staple item and can be worn to a lot of events. They also do not look sloppy while worn with the appropriate outfit. I do not believe that banning hoodies in the dress code was a good idea. They are very comfortable and always stay in trend.

12 Comments

12 Responses to “Hoodies should be allowed in school”

1. Lexie lewis on March 27th, 2017 12:29 PM

I agree! Some people say hoodies are a choking hazard or an be used to head weapons but when you think about it a lot of things apply to that. ID’s can be used as a choking hazard. I see many students who rip off their friends ID’s from their neck and sometimes the ID doesn’t come off which could choke them. Also if you were dead set on bringing a weapon into school you could hide it very easily without a sweatshirt. So in my opinion banning hoodies is a dumb rule. As Jamie said hoodies supply comfort and if students are comfortable they are more eager to learn and be relaxed. If it is a stroudsburg hoodie I believe we should be able to wear it.

2. Hagan Schomberg on March 27th, 2017 12:37 PM

I agree with what Jamie is saying in this letter and I personally think we should wear hoodies as well. Hoodies keep us warm and toasty throughout the day and allows us to feel comfortable in some of the cold chilly classrooms of this school. I believe that this should be looked at once more and debated upon.

3. aniyah carter on February 28th, 2018 9:19 AM

I agree in my school if you have your hood on in school you will get a lunch or after school detention and it’s not right we should be able to wear our hood on in school without getting in trouble this is a dumb rule that they need to change.

4. Eric Serbin on April 18th, 2017 9:37 AM

While I don’t like having this rule in place, they reason they have it isn’t because they want to inconvenience us at every turn. It’s supposed to prevent someone being able to cover their face if they want to, say, vandalize bathrooms or something along those lines

5. Kaden on February 8th, 2018 2:09 PM

Yes but it very rare that people vandalized the bathrooms in schools so they don’t have to worry

6. caleb douglas on November 16th, 2017 8:01 AM

i agree i am getting that changed by using this evidence to create a essay to get this change the little jerks want to incovienunce me ill do it to them

7. Karissa Belzer on February 28th, 2018 10:20 AM

They make hoodies a big deal but on work out or work it day they allowed hoodies AND joggers? It’s contradicting.

8. Winfield Gillespie on April 3rd, 2018 12:46 PM

i Agree with Jamie because it a clothing of comfort. Also in most of my classes its very cold and uncomfortable. They say Hoodies are a choking hazard but I don’t think so. If anything Student Id’s are more of a choking hazard because of horseplay.

9. Morgan on January 29th, 2019 6:11 PM

I am doing a Socratic seminar which is basically a debate we are talking about the topic about why we should be able to wear hoods in school. I am on the side that believes we should be able to wear our hoods in school. I am creating examples of why my statement is: (I think kid our age are going through a lot whether its a mental change or them not feeling comfortable just in a T-shirt and nothing covering their arms or if they feel like an outsider and just don’t want to get bothered about how they look or act. Plus kids our ages may be going through some changes and feel very sensitive or get mad at the smallest things. Or maybe Something is going on at home and they either hurt themselves or get hurt by others Physically or Mentally. The point is if the hoodies are not really affecting you why do you care you have no clue what’s going on just leave them alone or if they have their hoodie on they just want to learn and not talk about why they are upset to think of this way that is their way of coping and not getting mad or sad. ) That is my statement all of it is true I asked around and each part of this is a fact. that’s all I wanted to say.

10. Zach on March 14th, 2019 10:28 AM

this rule is dumb. I am aways cold in school

11. yee yee on March 19th, 2019 11:06 AM

yee yee wee should bee ablee t0 weer h00d13s

12. Julian on March 20th, 2019 11:47 AM

it’s a violation for the first amendment saying that we are not allowed to wear them because it is a freedom and a right to wear the hat or hood in school

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Hoodies should be allowed in school